International

India Expresses Concern Over Drone Strike on UAE Nuclear Facility Amid Gulf Tensions

India on Monday (May 18) expressed deep concern over the drone attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, describing the incident as a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in West Asia. In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs said, “India is deeply concerned at the attack targeting the Barakah nuclear […]
India Expresses Concern Over Drone Strike on UAE Nuclear Facility Amid Gulf Tensions

Barakah nuclear plant drone strike. Image courtesy: Wikimedia

Avatar photo
  • Published May 18, 2026 8:28 pm
  • Last Updated May 18, 2026

India on Monday (May 18) expressed deep concern over the drone attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the United Arab Emirates, describing the incident as a “dangerous escalation” amid rising tensions in West Asia.

In a statement, the Ministry of External Affairs said, “India is deeply concerned at the attack targeting the Barakah nuclear facility in the UAE. Such actions are unacceptable and represent a dangerous escalation. We urgently call for restraint and a return to dialogue and diplomacy.”

The response came after a drone strike triggered a fire near the Barakah nuclear power plant in the UAE on Sunday (May 17). According to authorities, the attack hit an electrical generator located outside the facility’s inner perimeter after drones entered the country’s airspace from the western border with Saudi Arabia.

Officials later confirmed there were no casualties or radiological leaks, adding that all safety systems remained fully operational and reactor activities were unaffected.

The incident has further heightened fears of a wider regional confrontation, as tensions continue to rise between Iran, Israel, and the United States, despite ongoing diplomatic efforts.

Condemning the strike, the UAE foreign ministry termed it an “unprovoked terrorist attack” and warned against attempts to affect the country’s security and stability.

“These attacks constitute a dangerous escalation, an unacceptable act of aggression and a direct threat to the country’s security,” the ministry said, adding that investigations are underway to determine the source of the attacks and that further details will be announced once the probe is completed.

The UAE further affirmed that it remains fully prepared to address any threats and will firmly confront attempts to undermine the country’s security in a manner that safeguards its sovereignty, stability and national interests.

The Ministry further stressed that international standards and agreements, including the principles and relevant resolutions of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), highlight the importance of protecting peaceful nuclear facilities and ensuring their safety and security against hostile acts or military threats.

The Barakah nuclear power plant, built with assistance from South Korea and operational since 2020, is the Arab world’s only nuclear energy facility. The USD 20 billion project supplies nearly a quarter of the UAE’s electricity requirements.

Avatar photo
Written By
Prakhya Singh Rajput

A graduate from the CCSU University, Prakhya Singh Rajput holds a degree in Journalism and Mass Communication. She has previously interned with The Times of India and Sahara.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *